This page describes the different steps required to install the Dual Y stepper motor upgrade (available here)
This upgrade is compatible with Scalar L and Scalar XL Premium 3d printers.
The purpose of this upgrade
This upgrade intends to add a 2nd stepper motor on the existing Y Axis.
It allows to have 1 stepper motor at the front and at the back of the print surface.
Both motors are turning on the same direction
More over they are electrically links together on the same stepper driver.
This allows them to be perfectly in sync.
Both stepper motors are driving the belts in both directions.
The print surface is always perfectly pulled on both directions.
Stepper motor wires installation
The electric wiring is performed over the existing installation
You need to :
- Disconnect the existing Y axis stepper motor wire. Make sure to note down the location of each wire color.
- Install the Y shaped splitter cable on the Y axis stepper motor output. A good idea is to install the wire so that the red wire is pointing in the same direction as the previous motor wire.
- Connect the original Y axis motor wire on one of the 2 male connectors on the Y splitter cable.
- Connect the new stepper motor wire on the remaining 4 pins connector.
- Using your LCD screen, move your Y axis and check that both motors are turning the same way. If not, just invert the newly installed motor cable and check again.
- Now both steppers should run on the same direction. Check that when moving in positive direction the Y axis is going away from the Y axis end stop. If not you will need to invert the Y slipper cable on the ramps side.
- The setup is finished.