Dual Extrusion upgrade – E3D Chimera
The kit contains:
- 1 motor kit+ extruder + stepper motor driver
- 2 meters of PTFE tubing
- 1 screw set
- 1 E3D Chimera kit
- 1 fan extender board
E3D Chimera installation guide
You will find the installation guide on the E3D official website
Necessary plastic parts
You will find the needed plastic parts on thingiverse. they are compatible with Scalar 3D printers.
You will need the following parts:
- 1 extruder support (compatible with induction probe)
- 1 back blower fan holder
- (Scalar S) 2 2020 extruder holders
- (Scalar L / XLP) 2 3030 extruder holders
Hot end installation
You need 3 M3x8 screws in order to attach the hot end heat-sink on the plastic holder
Use the screws from the back of the plastic part to hold the hot end in place.
1 M3x20 thermoplastic screw in to be installed on the hole behind the inductive probe support
Install you inductive probes
Finally, using 3 M3x10 screws, attach everything on the X carriage starting from the 2nd hole from the top
Extruders motors installation on the chassis
Extrusion motors are to be installed on the top of your chassis
You can attache them on the spool holders extrusions as follow.
The 2 pneumatic connectors are to be installed at the output of the extruders. They will hold the ptfe tubing later on.
In the kit you should have 2 extrusion gears. Make sure to install them both, 1 on each extruder. the goal here is to have the same extrusion gear on each extruder to make things easier later on.
You will need to calibrate your Control>Motion>Estep/mm after you update your firmware.
PTFE tubing installation
You can now install the ptfe Tubing between the hot end and the different extruders.
Important note: the left heating block corresponds to the extruder E0, and the right side heating block corresponds to the extruder E1
You need to cut the tube to length so that they are as short as possible and still guaranty smooth motion all over the print volume.
A good tip would be to make sure that the hot end nozzle is as low as possible (near touching the bed) before cutting the tube, in order to have an optimal tube length.
You can now align your 2 nozzles:
- Make sure that your X axis is as parallel to your heat bed as possible
- Lower the hot end until 1 nozzle is touching the bed
- Using the 2 small screws on the side of the heat-sink, you can adjust the 2nd nozzle to that it also touches the bed.
Here is the wiring diagram of the E3D Chimera dual extrusion upgrade
Extruder 2 (E1) installation
You first need to install the driver for your new extruder motor on the remaining driver slot.
Warning! Carefully note the driver orientation, the location of the small heat-sink and the small round potentiometer. They must be on the same orientation as the other drivers
Stepper motor driver calibration
You will now calibrate the stepper motor driver using a Ceramic screws driver (provided with Scalar L/ XLP)
Reminder on the Ceramic screw driver
This screw driver is electrically insulated.
It’s used to adjust potentiometers when powered
If you are using a standard non insulated screw driver you may damage your stepper driver.
For the calibration purpose you will also need a multi-meter with the 2V DC caliber selected (or similar).
- Place the multi-meter black probe on the USB connector metallic shielding of the arduino board (blue) located below the Ramps board (red).
- Place the red probe over the small round potentiometer located next to the heat sink
- Measure the voltage, you want 0.850mV
- Using the ceramic screw driver, turn the potentiometer clockwise to increase the voltage.
- Turn counter clockwise to decrease the voltage.
Fan extender board installation
This board is used to replace the power transistor that you re-used for your second hot end heater cartridge. You will need it to power your PLA cooling fan.
Install it over the « servo » extension pins on the ramps 1.4 board (same for MKS gen boards)
This board need an external power supply in order to work.
You need to unplug the E3D 30mm cooling fan from the « Y » shape splitter cable. Connect another « Y » splitter cable to it and plug back the 30mm fan to one of the available end.
On the remaining end, connect the 20cm Female-Female extender cable.
The other end of the cable is to be connected to the 12V input of the fan extender board (here on the left)
Warning! take precautions with the polarities!
Now connect the PLA cooling blower fan on the D11 location on the fan extender board.
You need to upgrade your firmware in order to take into account your 2nd extruder.
The upgrade procedure is located here
The compatible firmware are labeled « Dual extrusion Chimera »
If you 3D printer version / model is not listed, please make sure to contact us so that we can provide it.
Precautions after upgrading your firmware
- Check that all your stepper motors are still turning in the proper direction. If not, just flip the motor connector on the electronic board side.
- You will need to move the location or your existing X axis end stop. Push the hot end left until the right nozzle is located on the edge of the left side of the bed. The left nozzle must get outside of the bed area. Now push the end stop against the X carriage and you are set.
- You will also need to adjust ZOffset before printing. The probe tip must be around 1-2mm above the nozzle tip.